Discussion space 4 the final essay....

Friday, May 19, 2006

As discussed in class...the computer culture has become linked to a characteristically masculine worldview. Most computer games often have subject matter of interest to boys, or feature styles of interaction known to be comfortable for boys. We all are stuck in the stereotypical views that prompt us to believe that males play with machines that show their aggressiveness and dominance...while females play with dolls that induce nurturance.
But as we can see, there is fundamental gender-inequity in computer gaming today as playing computer games is still considered a masculine activity and it has been well established that game play is more popular among males than females
Being a girl gamer in a mostly guy’s world of video games has given me a few unique experiences. One negative aspect of being a girl gamer that I’ve found is that some guys won’t give you any respect. Instead of acknowledging your skills, they act like big babies when you beat them and then don’t want to play anymore. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that I’m some "super goddess of a player".... I’m totally not and I can respect those who can beat me and will always beat me.
But I wish girl gamers weren’t so rare. I don’t think the problem is lack of girly games per-se.. but I think it is the stereotype that video games are a guy’s world. Until more guys (and the society) become accepting of girl gamers, there will always be a lack of girls willing to give it a try. I wish more girls would work up the guts to pick up a controller, and just jump in like one of the guys. Of course playing against seven other guys who will gun you down sooner than look at you, can be quite intimidating....However, I hope that eventually we will not remain to be "the minorities", but rather very diverse and widespread....!!!!
After all tht..I am just left here to say... "Keep on gaming sisters"! :-D

Cheers

/Sh

Ps: kindly add on ur comments or opinions to help me elaborate or find more social issues tht may be associated with girl gamers??!!! thxxxxxx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home